Tourism | Packing list
Visiting the tropics in search of charismatic wildlife is a delightful activity that becomes more enjoyable if you are well prepared. One way to be well prepared for your trip is to pack smart. That means packing not only the things that are absolutely necessary for your trip, like documents and money, but also the things that will make your travel much more productive and fun, like a camera and a bathing suit. Packing smart also means leaving some things at home, like expensive jewelry and extra clothes (laundry service is available). What you bring along will ultimately be determined by the type of trip and the location you are going to visit. That said, for most of our offer of tours, you will be well prepared by packing the following.
- Passport, visas and international vaccination certificates.
- Cash (including small denomination bills), ATM and VISA cards.
- Copy of travel insurance policy.
- List of contacts in case of emergencies.
- Rubber boots (cheaper in Ecuador), sandals, and lightweight shoes.
- Long-sleeved and short-sleeved shirts.
- Quick-drying travel trousers, shorts and swimsuit.
- Durable, quick-drying socks. Many of them.
- Rain poncho or raincoat.
- Jacket for cool evenings at high altitudes.
- Lightweight hat.
- Water-resistant headlamp, and backup flashlight.
- Pens and a field notebook.
- Collapsible snake hooks and tongs.
- Lightweight daypack or fanny pack.
- Water bottle.
- Digital camera, memory cards, and battery charger.
- Macro lens, wide angle, and telephoto.
- External flash units, softboxes.
- Tripod, ballhead and L-plate.
- Rechargeable batteries.
- Plastic bags and silica gel for dealing with lens fogging.
- Plug adapters for Ecuador's electrical socket types (110–120 V).
- Camera backpack or Pelican case.
- Cleaning kit for camera and lenses.
Products of personal use
- Sunscreen and lip balm.
- Insect repellent.
- Cloth bandaids, alcohol pads, and antibiotic creams.
- Benadryl cream for itchy bites.
- Aspirin/ibuprofen or other analgesic.
- Cold-symptom relief tablets, antihistamine, cough drops.
- Prescription medicines in their original bottles.
- Copies of medical prescriptions.
- Imodium, Lomotil, or similar anti-diarrhea medicine.
- Visine or similar eye drops.
- Water purification tabs.